Ken Loach tweeted today that The Guardian chose to delete the first and last line from his letter in today’s paper.
The letter was critical of how The Guardian newspaper has treated Jeremy Corbyn.
2016 has been an awful year for so many reasons. But today this was posted on FaceBook.
From Northumbria police
Our Firearms Support Unit (FSU) have been taking in the fantastic atmosphere of Newcastle’s Christmas market this morning.
It may be a bit chilly out and about but there have been a lot of smiley faces with there being just two more Fridays until Christmas!
Don’t be alarmed if you do see our armed officers, they are there purely for reassurance and to make people feel safe.
These patrols have begun following the announcement from the Home Office last year that armed patrols would be stepped up across the country.
Our FSU officers are just regular police at the end of the day and if you have any concerns make sure you go and have a chat.
THE CHANCELLOR’S BIG ‘CON’ ON THE NATIONAL LIVING WAGE!
The chancellor will unveil in the autumn statement, that the National living wage will rise to £7.50 an hour in 2017. He will use this announcement to feed into the spin that the government are on the side of the “just about managing” – or “Jams”.
But according to forecasts by the independent Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), an advisory public body established by the UK government to provide independent economic forecasts, the National living wage should go up to £7.60 in 2017, if it is to reach the government pledge of £9.00 an hour by 2020.
So Philip Hammond is in fact making a cut to the lowest paid workers wages by 10p an hour.
Amber Rudd, the UK Home secretary, has remained silent over the accelerating crisis in Calais, France.Where the French authorities have been accused of the mistreatment of child refugees, many, whom have the right to live in the UK.
On Wednesday French authorities announced the Calais ‘Jungle’ was “clear” and declared the closure a success, but charities and volunteers on the ground said more than 1,000 people remain in and around the camp, including hundreds of children who have not been through the registration process.
Josie Naughton, of charity Help Refugees, said: “The authorities stopped registering children at around midday today, saying the container camp was full, and sent around 300 to 400 children, including under-13s, back to the Jungle.”
40% of the ‘Jungle’ was burnt down earlier in the day and the children were forced to sleep out in the open.
Caroline Gregory of Calais Action, a British charity, said:”We were begging the French authorities to actually do something about the refugee children and nothing was done,”
The situation for child refugees in Calais has got alot worse today. This morning the Police started to round up any child without a wristband, arrest them and take them away in vans.
Image co/ Help refugees UK
Help refugees, a charity working with child refugees, said: ‘This morning children were told to go to the registration warehouse where they queued peacefully for hours this morning. They were then told they would not yet be registered and were sent back to outside the container camp, where they are refusing to let them enter without wristbands.
Police have now been arresting and forcibly removing children with no explanation or translators. This has happened to children with and without wristbands. We are told those without wristbands were taken to the PAF ‘Police Anti Frontier’ & told as they didn’t have wristbands they are seen as a criminal threat. Please alert your MP that the home office must do more on the ground protect.’
Amber Rudd has failed to take any action to protect children, who have the right to live in the UK.
The UK Home Office said French authorities were responsible for “all children in Calais during the clearance operation – including those being assessed for possible transfer to the UK”
❤Please support Help refugees UK @
On Saturday 22nd October Hastings Supports Refugees are holding a food donation day in support of refugees in Calais and the local Hastings Food Bank. A tiny neo-Nazi group from Portsmouth called South Coast Resistance (also known as “Pie and Mash”) have said they are coming to Hastings on that day to demonstrate against refugees.
Hastings is in the parliamentary seat of Home Secretary Amber Rudd, who has been caught up in a backlash against her, after she announced, at the Conservative party conference, that all businesses in the UK would have make a list of all foreign employees. Amber Rudd has now backtracked on the idea, after it was compared to Nazi party policies.
This is why Saturday has become such a symbolic day for many, to show they reject the politics of hate and this is not how we want Post-Brexit Britain to be.
Local group Hastings Solidarity and Hastings Momentum have put a URGENT CALL-OUT.
Hastings solidarity statement said: ‘Come down to Hastings town centre near Debenhams this Saturday to show the world what solidarity looks like.
Please share this call out as widely as possible – bring friends, family, comrades, neighbours, workmates. We need to have as many people out as possible.
Join us in solidarity with our brothers and sisters who come here from across the sea as refugees fleeing war and terror – and with our friends and family here in our community who are suffering the effects of the government’s class war austerity measures, declining wages and homelessness.
Bring flags, banners, signs and food to donate. Come and stand with us and show some Hastings hospitality!
There is a role for everyone on Saturday – whether you’re happy to wave a sign or help with the donations, hand out leaflets and talk to passers-by, or get involved in physically defending our town from Fascists. Please be there.’
Link to event
ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER ANTI-CORBYN STORY!
By Aran MacDermott
Since last September when Jeremy Corbyn was elected leader of the Labour party by the largest percentage of votes in the party’s history.
The Left-wing mainstream Newspapers the Guardian and Daily Mirror have been luke warm at best towards Jeremy Corbyn and his mandate from Labour members to move the direction of the party back to its roots, to be more democratic and move away from the ideas of ‘New’ Labour.
Last month, in the aftermath and chaos of the UK public voting to leave the EU.’New’ Labour MP’s seized their moment to try and trigger a coup against Mr Corbyn. He caught wind of the plot and sacked the ring leader Hilary Benn.
We all know what followed Shadow Cabinet Ministers resigning, 172 MP’s voting for a motion of no confidence in the Leader, 10,000’s holding rallys across the Country in support of Corbyn, over 200,000 new members, Chilcot, the Trade Unions backing Corbyn and a Leadership challege..
So how have the two main left-wing newpapers in the Country, chosen to refect this historic battle for the soul of the Labour movement?
This was the Daily Mirror’s advice to Jeremy Corbyn last week…
Both The Guardian and Daily Mirror’s editorial line that ‘ Jeremy Corbyn should step down’ goes against their own research that shows their readership do not agree with them.
Today after weeks of inaction Angela Eagle is set to announce that she will force a Leadership race with or maybe without Jeremy Corbyn on the ballot paper.
Here is how Today’s Guardian ‘report’ it..
And Daily Mirror
JEREMY CORBYN STATEMENT
30th June 2016
” United we stand, divided we fall is one of the oldest and truest slogans of the labour movement.
After last week’s referendum, our country faces major challenges. Risks to the economy and living standards are growing. The public is split.
The Government is in disarray. Ministers have made it clear they have no exit plan, but are determined to make working people pay with a new round of cuts and tax rises.
Labour has the responsibility to give a lead where the Government will not. We need to bring people together, hold the Government to account, oppose austerity and set out a path to exit that will protect jobs and incomes.
To do that we need to stand together. Since I was elected leader of our party nine months ago, we have repeatedly defeated the Government over its attacks on living standards. Last month, Labour become the largest party in the local elections. In Thursday’s referendum, a narrow majority voted to leave, but two thirds of Labour supporters backed our call for a Remain vote.
I was elected leader of our party, for a new kind of politics, by 60% of Labour members and supporters. The need for that different approach now is greater than ever.
Our people need Labour Party members, trade unionists and MPs to unite. As leader it is my continued commitment to dedicate our party’s activity to that goal.”
Jeremy corbyn issued the following statement, after 172 Labour MPs supported a motion of ‘No Confidence’ in his leadership.
“In the aftermath of last week’s referendum, our country faces major challenges. Risks to the economy and living standards are growing. The public is divided.
The government is in disarray. Ministers have made it clear they have no exit plan, but are determined to make working people pay with a new round of cuts and tax rises.
Labour has the responsibility to give a lead where the government will not. We need to bring people together, hold the government to account, oppose austerity and set out a path to exit that will protect jobs and incomes.
To do that we need to stand together. Since I was elected leader of our party nine months ago, we have repeatedly defeated the government over its attacks on living standards.
Last month, Labour become the largest party in the local elections. In Thursday’s referendum, a narrow majority voted to leave, but two thirds of Labour supporters backed our call for a remain vote.
I was democratically elected leader of our party for a new kind of politics by 60% of Labour members and supporters, and I will not betray them by resigning. Today’s vote by MPs has no constitutional legitimacy.
We are a democratic party, with a clear constitution. Our people need Labour party members, trade unionists and MPs to unite behind my leadership at a critical time for our country.”
ENERGY SECRETARY FACING SECOND ALLEGATION IN TORY ELECTION EXPENSES SCANDAL.
Energy Secretary Amber Rudd, MP for Hastings and Rye is facing a second allegation of failing to declare election expenses in the last General election.
On Sunday it was reported in the national press that Ms Rudd used a local version of national online advertisements designed by ad firm M&C Saatchi, but failed to declare the ad in her election spending returns.
Ms Rudd posted a version of the same ad on her YouTube page on March 29, 2015, with the slogan changed from ‘Recovering Economy: Don’t Let Labour Wreck It’ to ‘Unemployment down by 1,921 in Hastings and Rye since 2010.’
Now B heard media have learnt that a
controversial wraparound advert that appeared on the front page of the local newpaper, the Hastings Observer, just a week before the General election was paid for by the Conservative party national election campaign despite being aimed directly at local voters.
PETITION TO SACK BBC’S LAURA KUENSSBERG TAKEN DOWN, AFTER BEING HIJAKED BY SEXIST TROLLS.
A petition started in the wake of a perecived bias against the Labour party and it’s Leader Jeremy Corbyn by BBC news Political editor Laura Kuenssberg
has been taken down by Joe, who started it.
The petition had been signed by over 35,000 people, after only 4 days, before todays news.
A very strong article appeared in the Guardian today linking the petition with sexist trolls on twitter and saying the petition had a sexist agenda.
Joe, who started the petition replied to
accusation in the Guardian, he said: “This petition has precisely zero to do with Kuenssberg’s gender. Regardless of the gender you identify with, there is no excuse for biased reporting and misrepresentation of facts when you represent an organisation that has been famed for its impartiality and balanced approach.”
When you click on link to petition now, the following statement appears.
Joe said the following:
“When I started my campaign I was trying to raise a serious issue about what I saw as a reporter not being balanced and fair in the way that the news was covered. My petition has since been hijacked by a group of people who absolutely do not share my views.
I would like to reassure everyone that I am a passionate advocate for equality in all areas, not just gender equality. This petition has precisely zero to do with gender.
As a result of the sexist trolls who have attempted to derail my petition, I have decided to take it down. “